11/08/2008

A New President...

Wednesday is our day off here in India. When you focus on relationships with college students you have to work your schedule around theirs. Here they have college for half a day on Saturday and are usually free for the rest of the afternoon which makes it the best day to hang out with students. So, we simply switched our Saturday with our Wednesday. This system is taking some getting used to. It still feels like Friday night should we fun night so we have to fight ourselves to go to bed. On the other hand, Tuesday definitely feels like a work night and we have to fight to stay up late!!

This Wednesday Stephen and I woke up, ran into turn on CNN to watch the poll updates. We assumed that there would still be several hours of states lighting up red or blue as their numbers came in, but we were wrong. One minute after turning it on, McCain walked out to make his speech in Arizona congratulating Obama. We were so surprised. Not that Obama won, but that the election was already over.

I have to admit that although I have read up on their policies and listened to their debates I am definitely not the most informed voter. If I would have been in the states I probably would have cast my vote for McCain but I will say that I can not help but be drawn to Obama's charismatic way of speaking and really do think that I would like him if we met face to face. I will not say that I agree with all of his politics but I do support him fully as our president. Ok, that is all I have to say about that. I hate to talk politics but I could not leave it off of my blog, because missing an election and coming home to a new president is a big event in this India experience.

Indians were huge Obama supporters all during the presidential race. Right after he got elected, word began getting out that his policies are less friendly to outsourcing. Some are beginning to question their excitement.

The day after the results came out Brittan and I spent a good (embarrassing) amount of time reading everyone on facebooks status updates concerning the election. There were some good fights and some pretty outrageous statements. We decided to put a couple of our favorites on our pages...

Cheesiest: Let's forget about the red and blue and get back to the red, white and blue.
Funniest: Well, I guess that means no more Tina Fey as Palin...that's a bummer.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I seriously couldn't go to sleep that night cause I was up reading everybody's status updates. They were so entertaining, really, I thought I was dramatic but there were some people on good ole facebook who proved that I was not quite as dramatic as I thought. Would I be a complete nerd if I said that I almost saved my favorite updates in a word document so that I could go back and read them when I need a good laugh. I didn't do it, but strongly considered it!

Jennie said...

Totally with you on getting behind Obama even though he wasn't my choice.

Britt W. said...

I don't have too much to say on the ol' Presidential election, but I do want to say that I think your blogs are great Lacey!! :-) Even though I haven't left any comments, I check for new posts periodically. We miss y'all so much!